Listed below are a series of statements that appear throughout the Taking Back Ground lessons, which we have entitled, “Core Beliefs.” Each one represents a biblical thought that is universal and unchanging. These serve to remind us of the overall intent of God’s working in our hearts to bring us to fulfillment in Christ.
- We were made by God, for God. Our lives have meaning and value because of His love of us. He desires an intimate, passionate relationship with us.
Genesis 1:27, Isaiah 43:1, I John 3:1-3
- We were made for a purpose. God did not make a mistake when He made you. Who you are is an intricate part of this purpose.
Isaiah 64:8, Jeremiah 29:11-13, Matthew 10:29-30, Ephesians 2:10
- We were made for relationship. God intends that we learn and grow in the context of relationships with one another.
Matthew 18:20, Hebrews 10:25, I John 3:11
- Our sexual struggles are partly the result of unmet genuine emotional needs. Our attempts to meet these needs apart from God have only led to a life of frustration and futility.
John 15:4-5, I Corinthians 6:12-13, Philippians 4:19
- God calls us to walk in honesty and integrity. Confession is key to living a victorious life. At the cross of Christ we find liberation from our sinful past. Through relationships, we receive the encouragement to maintain a pure life.
Psalm 32:3-5, Psalm 84:11, James 5:14-16, I John 1:17
- Change comes about through a renewed mind and heart. To attempt to change behavior without addressing the underlying issues is not dealing with the real problem. The Word of God changes our thought patterns and decision-making processes.
Psalm 1, Psalm 119:9-12, Romans 12:1-2, I Corinthians 2:13-16
- We are called to die to our fleshly nature. In order to know newness of life, we must intentionally put to death our sinful behaviors. God calls us to not just manage our problems, but to surrender them to Him.
Romans 6:6-12, Galatians 2:20, Philippians 3:7-11, I Peter 4:1-6
- God empowers us through His indwelling Spirit to live a victorious life. In our own strength, we are unable to fulfill God’s desires. He has given us the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and comfort us.
John 14:16-18, Romans 8:1-2, II Corinthians 3:17-18, Ephesians 1:13-14
- God created us as sexual beings. He said that what He made was good. The Word of God clearly states that sex was intended to take place between a man and a woman within the covenant of marriage.
Genesis 2:22-25, Matthew 19:3-8, I Corinthians 7:3-5
- We were made male and female; distinct physically and emotionally. God chose our gender. We reflect a part of who He is as we seek to embrace our God-given nature.
Genesis 1:27, Ephesians 5:22-27
- God calls us to obey Him and His Word. Obedience is an act of faith, believing that God is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Although we may not always understand “why,” we trust that He has our best interests at heart.
John 14:15-27, Romans 6:16-23, Hebrews 11:8-10